Should Your Internationally Adopted Child Have A Certificate of Citizenship?

My wife and I have two children adopted from Korea, and we’ve both been very involved in the local Korean-American Adoption community.  From time to time, we’ve been asked questions by other parents that touch on this issue, and my wife keeps telling me that I need to write a post about this.  So, for this post, I’ll depart from my usual legal topics to write about something else that is very dear to my heart.  By the way, the answer to the question posed above is a resounding “yes!”

I know the Certificate of Citizenship is expensive and you may find that the Department of Health Certificate of Birth Record may work fine for now, but some day you or your child may encounter a bureaucrat who claims–rightly or wrongly depending on the date and manner in which your child was adopted–that your child is not a U.S. Citizen.  Get the Certificate of Citizenship now, while you still have all of the documents that are needed to complete this process.  Even though you can also obtain a passport–which will show citizenship–a passport expires.  A Certificate of Citizenship will not expire, and it can be used to obtain a Passport and other documents where proof of citizenship are required.

Read More Here…

Foster children need help even after they mature

As we approach National Foster Care Month in May, lawmakers — and the citizens they are accountable to — have an opportunity to stand up for youth in foster care in meaningful ways. One key strategy to do this is by funding services for foster youth as they make the transition to adulthood from age 18 to 21. While the goal of the foster care system is to reunify children with their families, each year almost 25,000 youth nationwide — and nearly 150 in Louisiana — age out of the foster care system at age 18. That means that the state, which has parented them, sets them loose and provides no safety net, much less the moral and social support that families provide their children.

Read More Here…